Long Beach Airport
In the 1930s the WPA worked on the Long Beach Airport, making improvements to the fields and runways and constructing a new terminal and control tower building:
“In the late 1930s, the council approved plans to purchase 255 acres adjoining the municipal airport and the construction of a three-story administration building and tower at the east side of the airfield. The airfield was improved with 1,000 WPA workers…
The terminal and control tower building was completed and scheduled for grand opening on December 7, 1941, the day Pearl Harbor was attacked. Instead, it was repainted in camouflage and used a billet for soldiers and military guns. The terminal formally opened on April 26, 1942 (and its pastel paint was restored in 1945). Designed by Horace Austin and Kenneth Wing in the streamline moderne style of architecture, the building (still) looks more like a ship than an airplane terminal. Inside were the mosaics and murals of WPA artist Grace Clements, which won national acclaim.”
Gerrie Schipske. Early Aviation in Long Beach. 2009: 10.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE