Lock Haven University entrance sign
Then known as the State Teachers College at Lock Haven, Lock Haven University benefited during the Great Depression from a large construction project enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $194,680 grant for the project, whose final cost was $623,191. Construction occurred between February 1938 and July 1939. (PWA Docket No. [W]1857.)
Four buildings were constructed on the campus, including the facilities known as Thomas Field House, the Price Auditorium, and Sullivan Hall (originally constructed as a library; demolished 2015). A power plant, also constructed as part of this PWA project, has since too been demolished.
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 36. "Public Works Administration", a Google Fusion Table by LaDale Winling, edited on March 15, 2011. http://www.google.com/fusiontables/DataSource?dsrcid=578234
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 29, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE