Lake Lincoln, Lincoln State Park
Lincoln State Park was occupied by three New Deal agencies from 1933-1942. The first agency to occupy Lincoln Park was the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The CCC Company 1543 was active in Lincoln State Park from 1933-1934. The CCC laborers planted trees and constructed a fire tower, shelters, and a ranger cabin. After the CCC laborers were relocated in 1935, Federal Emergency Relief Administration laborers arrived and continued to build improvements for the park. FERA workers developed numerous fish rearing ponds. Later the Works Progress Administration (WPA) was stationed at Lincoln Park. WPA workers built hiking trails, a service building, and a gatehouse. Another CCC camp was established at Lincoln State Park from 1940 until 1942. CCC Company 553 constructed a dam and the superintendent’s house.
DNR Historic Site and Structures Inventory People, Parks, and Perceptions: A History and Appreciation of Indiana State Parks by Glory-June Greiff
Project originally submitted by Indiana Division of Historic Preservation/Nicole Cory on August 4, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE