Lincoln Memorial - Washington DC
On May 26, 1933, Lieutenant Colonel U.S. Grant III, grandson of President Ulysses Grant and director of the Office of Public Buildings and Public Parks of the National Capital, presented a large public works program for Washington, DC, “in anticipation of the early passage of the national industrial recovery act.” In the report, a request was made for $6,890, “For cleaning and pointing up interior stonework at the Lincoln Memorial… to prevent further deterioration” (Evening Star, 1933).
Ultimately, the Public Works Administration (PWA), created as part of the NIRA in 1933, allotted $3,465 for the job (about $69,000 in 2019 dollars) and a contract was awarded to the American Building & Cleaning Company in January 1934. The job was completed by mid 1934. The PWA went on to fund a million-dollar renovation of the National Mall.
There is also photographic evidence that the Civilian Conservation Corps performed snow removal around the Lincoln Memorial (see photo), but the years and details are unknown to the Living New Deal.
“Vast Public Works Program Here Outlined By Col. Grant,” Evening Star, May 26, 1933, p. B-1.
“First P.W.A. Job In D.C. Finished,” Evening Star, January 12, 1934, p. C-8.
“Visitors Guarded In Monument Job,” Evening Star, August 8, 1934, p. A-4.
“District gets $325,000 fund for building,” Washington Post, September 8, 1933, p. 22
National Archives Record Group 79.6.7
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on January 17, 2018.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE