Floral Park libraryThe old post office, now library, in Floral Park, New York
The historic former post office building in Floral Park, New York was constructed with Treasury Department and Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds in 1936. The building presently serves as the Floral Park Public Library. Postal operations have been moved to a new facility a few hundred feet down Tulip Ave.
“Floral Park is a residential community in Nassau County on Long Island, on the eastern edge of New York City. Its population in 1930 was 10,016, and its postal receipts for 1935 were $47,624.
The building is 84 by 90 feet in plan and is one story and part basement in height with a mezzanine over the mailing vestibule. It is entirely occupied by the Post Office Department. The lobby is 45 by 17 feet and has a terrazzo floor, marble wainscot, and plaster above the wainscot.
The construction is fireproof except for the roof which is wood plank, supported on steel framing. The exterior walls are light-red brick with a stone base and wood trim. The cupola is wood and the pitched roof covered with slate.
The project was completed in September 1936 at a construction cost of $66,779. The P.W.A. allotment was $88,519.43.”
C.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939).
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on July 9, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE