The old Brevard, NC post office
The Transylvania County Administration building at 101 South Broad Street in Brevard, North Carolina was originally constructed as a New Deal post office. The post office was one of several similar Federal/Greek Revival-style facilities in western North Carolina.
Per The Transylvania Times: “On Aug. 3, 1938 bids were received on 10 sites available in the downtown Brevard. A lot on the corner of Broad and Morgan streets was purchased from Mrs. Beulah Zachary for $4,000 on May 5, 1939. Groundbreaking took place on May 6, 1940. The Post Office began operating from the building in January 1941.”
“The building served as the Brevard Post Office for more than 30 years until postal service moved to a new building on West Main Street in early 1972.” The building was renovated and expanded, and served as the Transylvania County Library building until the library relocated down the road in 2006.
"PWA Constructed Brevard's Old Post Office," The Transylvania Times, Oct. 19, 2014: https://www.transylvaniatimes.com/lifestyles/pwa-constructed-brevards-old-post-office/article_54b2536b-ced7-5fbc-bdd5-0bd551f78184.html (accessed Jun. 7, 2022)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on June 7, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE