Old Tyler Carnegie Public LibraryA PWA grant helped double the size of the library in 1936.
The Carnegie Public Library in Tyler opened October 3, 1904. Philanthropist Andrew Carnegie provided a $15,000 donation to construct the building. With two large rooms on the first floor and an auditorium called Carnegie Hall on the second, the library was designed to hold 12,000 books and be operated by one librarian. An expansion in 1936 doubled its size, courtesy of a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) grant. The addition carefully reproduced the elements of construction on both the exterior and interior. This was made possible by a $25, 000 WPA grant. At the same time, modern lighting and Venetian blinds were installed, and a set of murals by Douthett Wilson of Dallas Depleting industrial life in East Texas were added.
A new public library opened at a different location in 1980. The old library now serves as the museum and archives of the Smith County Historical Society. Unknown if the murals are on display.
Reed, Robert Earl Jr. (2009). "Tyler". Charleston: Arcadia Publishing. p. 35.
National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form:(https://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/NR/pdfs/79003007/79003007.pdf), accessed November 12, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on March 15, 2015.
Additional contributions by Eveline Evans.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE