Now known as the National WWI Museum and Memorial, what was then the Liberty Memorial was the recipient of efforts on the part of multiple New Deal agencies.
National Register of Historic Places nomination form:
Numerous small-scale features are located throughout the site. While each feature alone may see insignificant, together they enhance the character of Liberty Memorial and contribute to the significance of the overall site. These features include stone steps, walks, and retaining walls; a brick and concrete swale; iron gates with stone walls; improvements at the Dedication Wall; lights and flagpoles.
The stone features throughout the site consist of rubble stone, ashlar style stone and limestone. The rubble and ashlar stone features are rustic in style and significantly contrast with the refined materials and lines of the limestone Memorial and Dedication Wall. They were built in the 1930s by the Civil Works Administration, city employees, and the Works Progress Administration.
“December 1933-February 1934: Civil Works Administration workers graded and made fills for Kessler Road. CWA also hand-graded and constructed sidewalks and walls at the southeast section of the Memorial. Work was completed under the direction of W. H. Dunn, Superintendent of Parks and J. V. Lewis, Field Engineer for the Park Board, per Olmsted’s plans.”
National Register of Historic Places nomination form
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 8, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE