“Five thousand people were present for the dedication of the park on July 25, 1935. It was named after an able Delta planter and lawyer who was a U.S. senator from Mississippi in 1909-13. Park facilities were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps Companies 2422 and 5467 between 1934 and 1936. Only two of the seven original log cabins are left. The solid log architecture is typical of the buildings that the CCC built in parks across the nation during the Depression.” (McGinnis, 163)
McGinnis, Helen. n.d. Hiking Mississippi. Univ. Press of Mississippi.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE