Jerome Park Reservoir and GatehousesJerome Park Reservoir and Gatehouses
As researcher Frank da Cruz explains, “Jerome Park Reservoir has seven gatehouses: three offsite and four onsite such as the two shown here, the darker brick Gatehouse No.7 at left and the lighter brick Gatehouse No.5 at right. Gatehouses control the flow of water into and out of the reservoir via gates, sluices, and pumps and may also perform other functions such as filtering and chlorination. The original 1906 reservoir had gates and sluices but the buildings to contain them were not built as planned for lack of funds, which did not appear until the New Deal. The above-grade superstructures (the brick buildings you see in this and the following pictures) were designed by the NY Department of Water Supply Gas and Electric (DWSG&E) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and built by the WPA in 1938-1939; they contain such things as sluice gate controls, chlorinating equipment controls, switch rooms, equipment and boat storage, offices, and locker rooms.”
As a 2004 report commissioned by the New York City government explains, of the seven gatehouses, Numbers 2, 5 and 7 are definitely WPA structures, and numbers 3 and 6 most likely are as well. “Over several years, WPA workers built at least three and possibly five of the brick superstructures over Jerome Park Reservoir Gate Houses. DWSG&E annual reports do not always identify the actual gate house superstructure that was completed by the WPA in any one year; however, the uniform design and materials indicate that Gate House No. 3 was completed at approximately the same time as Gate Houses Nos. 2, 5, 6, and 7.”
The Croton Water Filtration Plant Project: Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement, nyc.gov archive, July 16, 2004.
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on June 4, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE