Lee School - Pauls Valley, OK
The Lee School is one of three schools built by the Works Progress Administration in Pauls Valley between 1939 and 1940.
“Lee Elementary School is located at 300 W. Bert at the corner of N. Ash Street, and is an active elementary school today. The streets in Pauls Valley run SE-NE/SW/NW. It has an Art Deco theme, which was rare for the architect Albert S. Ross.
The school is a one story buff brick building constructed in an L-shape, with a flat roof. Additions added to each end later have been constructed to closely match the original. The windows are set in triples with three large panes each. Four belts in darker brick run above and below the windows, and “through” them. The main entrance faces Southeast, and has double metal doors recessed within a projected entry, and flanked by side windows. Four holes can be seen in the brick where the former bronze WPA shield was mounted on a side wall within the recessed entrance. Additional entries are located on the remaining sides of the building.”
Garvin County WPA Properties: https://www.okhistory.org/shpo/wpa/wpa5garvin.pdf
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on March 24, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE