Lee Park - Cordell OK
The Works Progress Administration built the Lee Park in Cordell OK.
“Lee Park lies between 2nd and 3rd Streets, and between Glenn L. England (Highway 183) and Cordell Avenue. An extension north of 3rd Street also contains basketball court and skate park, as well as some playground equipment and an old hut.
This park was a WPA project in 1940 and contains numerous rock structures, such as two bridges, drinking fountains, fire pits, drainage ditches and walkway curbing, as well as a rock hut. Over the years, items have been added, such as volleyball court and a nice Kiwanis sponsored playground.
The rock bridges cross an unnamed creek that runs through the park. A rock fire pit has a new pavilion covering. Two rock drinking fountains are still in place and in use. Rock curbing laid by the WPA can be seen along the walkways. In a northern extension of the park, on the north side of 3rd Street, a small hut is seen, which has been constructed of roughly laid native sandstone. Originally the hut was an office for the park, and later served as a Boy Scout hut. Today, it appears to be vacant. The park is a focal point for many community activities, including the annual Eager Egg Hunt, the fall Pumpkin Festival,and other church and community picnic and activities.”
Waymarker, McClain Rogers Park - Clinton OK:(https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM11F3G_Fire_Department_Cordell_OK), accessed December 2019.
Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory: (http://oli_shpo.okstate.edu/query_result.aspx?id=68553&pbc=P), accessed November 2019.
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on January 1, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE