Latimer County Courthouse in Wilburton OKPhoto: hamquilter Creative Commons BY-NC-ND
The Works Progress Administration built the Latimer County Courthouse in Wilburton.
Contributor note: “The Latimer County Courthouse is located at the intersection of N. Central and W. Ada. This is a beautiful two-story rock building that is painted a cream color. The gutters and downspouts are painted in a contrasting terracotta color which adds to the effect. The windows for the most part are 8-pane fixed units. There are recessed double-door entrances on the south and east. The courthouse has three bays with the center bay slightly projected on the east, and having a higher roof line.
To the left of the east entrance a granite cornerstone shows the construction date 1938 and the architect, Forrest Butler. The WPA bronze shield to the right of the entrance shows the completion date of 1939.”
Waymarking: (http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMZ963_Latimer_County_Courthouse_Wilburton_OK), accessed November 11, 2018.
WPA plaque on site.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE