Merchant Joseph Landa purchased the property that bears his name in 1859 to build gristmills powered by water from the Comal River. During the 1890s, the Landa property became known as Landa’s Pasture and was a popular picnic spot. Landa’s Park was established by Joseph’s son, Harry Landa, in 1898. Excursion trains from San Antonio and Austin brought tourists to Landa’s Park, which was hailed as one of the most popular resorts in the Southwest. In 1927, Harry Landa, sold the property to Jarrett Investment Company, which operated the park until it defaulted on its loan due to financial losses during the Great Depression. The park was closed in 1933. Concerned citizens petitioned the city to purchase the property. After a successful bond election, the city purchased the land to create Landa Park. Works Progress Administration (WPA) employees worked in Landa Park between 1935 and 1937 building concession stands, restrooms, parking areas, bridges and retaining walls. The “Landa Haus” special event building is one of the WPA projects.
Laurie E. Jasinski, "LANDA PARK," Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/xvl01), accessed November 10, 2015. Uploaded on June 15, 2010. Published by the Texas State Historical Association. Landa Park http://www.co.comal.tx.us/Historical/RTHL_PDF/Landa%20Park.pdf
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on November 10, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE