Lake Quannpowitt bath house
Jayne M. D’Onofrio:
“In 1939, Wakefield Selectmen voted to ask the Special Town Meeting to build a bath house on Spaulding Street at Lake Quannapowitt, as well as other recreation projects… The building would not be made of brick as in the previous plans and would not be heated for winter use. The bath house could accommodate 100 boys and 100 girls and would be a modern building with asphalt shingles. On March 23, 1939, Special Town Meeting voted to build the bath house at a cost of $5,261 by a close vote. The Spaulding Street bath house was completed in 1940 for a cost of $6,882.59. The bath house was removed in 1994 to the Forest Glade Cemetery.”
Aerial imagery as of 2017 suggests that the former bath house is still extant at the west side of the cemetery, albeit in highly remodeled form.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 19, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE