Lake Placid Middle High School 2020.This is the appearance of Lake Placid Middle High School in 2020. It was constructed 1934 to 1936.
In 1922, due to increasing numbers of students, the Lake Placid school district constructed a large brick high school at the south end of the current middle high school. It was modern and fireproof, sitting on the hill overlooking athletic fields and Main street. In November 1933, again due to increasing numbers of pupils, the community members voted to increase the school size by building two more sections. The original brick building was incorporated as the south end of the newly completed high school, now having three main sections, all finished with a Palladian neoclassical façade. A plaque indicating that it was partially funded by a grant from Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (No. 3755) was placed inside the building. In May 1935, a 1934 cornerstone was placed on the front center section of the building. The newly renovated school opened on September 16, 1935, with ample room for all students. The addition was completed in the spring of 1936. Today, the building is utilized as a middle and high school.
Lepak, Robert, “Lake Placid High School 2020.” Feb 2020. Personal collection.
Lepak, Robert, “Building Completion Plaque 1935.” (Inside building). May 2021. Personal collection.
Lepak, Robert, “Lake Placid Central School FEAPWP No. 3755 Plaque 1935.” (Inside building). May 2021. Personal collection.
"To Vote On Bond Issue for Construction of Addition to School Which Would Then House 1200 Pupils." Lake Placid News, 10 Nov 1933, p. 1 + 3.
Unknown Photographer, “Lake Placid High School 1978.” Lake Placid High School Alumni Room, 1978.
Project originally submitted by Robert Lepak on October 10, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE