Lake Claremore Boathouse - Claremore OKPhoto: hamquilter Creative Commons 2019
This WPA boathouse was built in 1938, and is still standing:
“This boathouse is a two-story, rectangular (34′ x 68′) structure constructed of cut, course, and rusticated native stone. It has a parapet roof… The lower level where boats dock, contains a small room that Claremore policemen once used as a jail. The roof is now made of tin and the doorway has a partial insert of wood attached, but these alterations do not impeach the integrity of the building. This structure is now designated for boat storage.” (Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory Nomination)
Additional contributor note:
“Lake Claremore is located on the northeast side of town. In an area designated as Bert Spangel Park (Claremore City Park), this boathouse stands on the shore. It is a two-story building constructed of cut, coursed and rusticated native sandstone, built by the WPA in 1938. The entry room faces west and has a single pedestrian door with a stone arch. This area has a high casement window and a chimney, and a gabled roof. Behind this on the lower level is the area in which the boats docked. This area has a gabled roof which is currently covered with metal sheeting. A room in this area was once used by Claremore Police as a jail.
The current use could not be determined, possibly for storage. The local ducks and geese are very friendly. We disappointed them as we had no food. The local area is used for fishing only, with boats under 8 ft. in length. This is one of very few boathouses constructed by the WPA in Oklahoma.”
Waymarking - Boathouse - Claremore, OK: http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM10JQY_Boathouse_Claremore_OK
Rogers - WPA Properties, 1985: https://www.okhistory.org/shpo/wpa/wpa3rogers.pdf
Project originally submitted by The Living New Deal on April 2, 2015.
Additional contributions by hamquilter, May 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE