Municipal Beach Park Entrance
Quoting from a supplement issued 30 years prior, the Carlsbad Current-Argus stated in 1970: “Through the assistance of WPA the city has just completed a $50,000 improvement program at Municipal Beach park. This includes a beautiful bath house of natural rock design and complete landscaping of the park area with walks, trees and grass.”
The park, which was constructed during the late 1930s by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), lines a reservoir along the dammed Pecos River. Its riverwalk currently extends for miles along either side of the lake. The original “beach park” was located along the western side of the lake, at the eastern end of East Church Street. In 1937 the city was granted a 99-year lease on three acres of land by the Santa Fe Railway to complete the park.
Carlsbad Current-Argus, Feb. 24, 1970 (p.3): https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/505437665/ (accessed Apr. 9, 2022)
Carlsbad Current-Argus, Feb. 15, 1938 (p.1):
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/503244174/ (accessed Apr. 9, 2022)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 9, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE