The Work Projects Administration (WPA) constructed this bath house in 1941-1942.
Located at Lake Carlos, the facility includes a concession area, restrooms, and storage. The structure was listed on the National Register of Historic Places, along with other 4 structures, in 1987.
A 1992 National Register of Historic Places Registration Form describes the formal characteristics of the Bath House: “The Bath House is a standard design utilized in many state parks with overall dimensions of 82’2″ x 22’6″. It consists of a split stone gable roofed central section containing a concession, restrooms, and storage areas flanked on either side by loggias which allow circulation through the building. Partially enclosed changing wings were originally constructed on either side of the building and could be accessed loggias. The wings consisted of a low stone wall followed by 1″ rough siding ‘sawed irregular from native logs.’“
National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, 1992: (http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/nrhp/nomination/89001654.pdf), accessed February 22, 2018.
Waymarking: (http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMP58H), accessed February 20, 2018.
Project originally submitted by Douglass Halvorsen on February 21, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE