Lake Byron was the 1934 gift from the Senior class to then named State Teachers College. It was named for Byron E. Green, Forrest County Board of Supervisors, who secured WPA relief funding to finance construction. The lake was planned as a state fish preserve, and completed April 1934. The lake and bridge were damaged in the 2013 tornado that struck Hattiesburg. The renovations enlarged the lake, and the historic bridge was reconstructed for compliance with ADA, with assistance from the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Gatlin, W. M. (2010). The University of Southern Mississippi Historic District. Nomination form for National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service: United States Department of the Interior.
Seen and Heard Here and There About the City. (Apr 5, 1934). Hattiesburg American, p. 14.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on December 8, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE