Laguna Beach Old Sewage Disposal PlantPhoto shows the plant's distinctive tower. - National Archives and Records Administration
Although the plant is no longer used, the distinctive tower at least remains. As the following 2006 archaeological report documents:
“The 1935 sewage treatment plant was built with Public Works Administration (PWA, a major New Deal
agency) loan and grant funds, combined with local bond funds. Little remains of the original immediate landscape of the sewage treatment plant, since its adjacent filtration and settling ponds have been removed and replaced with parking lots as well as permanent and temporary buildings for water/wastewater services. However, the adjacent hillside and its distinctive “lighthouse vent stack, and nearby historic city hall, preserve much of the setting and feeling of the original facility configuration.”
More information and photos available in the report: Cultural Resources Reconnaissance for the Village Entrance Project, Laguna Beach, California; SWCA Cultural Resources Report Database No. 2006-200; April 2006.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE