Kula Sanitorium was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. The P.W.A. supplied a $227,510 grant for the project, whose total cost was $507,557.
“The Kula Sanatorium, also known as Kula Hospital & Clinic, is a five-story structure situated on the lower slopes of Haleakala within the small community of Keokea. The Moderne style hospital was built in 1937 as a sanatorium intended for the treatment of tuberculosis patients. The Kula Sanatorium is historically significant for its place in the history of healthcare in Hawaii, particularly the treatment of tuberculosis. The building is architecturally significant as it retains the original design elements, form and scale of the Moderne period and is associated with the work of master architect Charles W. Dickey.”
P.W.A. Docket No. T. H. 1008
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 219. http://historichawaii.org/2014/03/03/kula-sanatorium/ http://www.ulukau.org/elib/cgi-bin/library?e=d-0inventory-000Sec--11en-50-20-frameset-book--1-010escapewin&a=d&d=D0.14.1&toc=0
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 18, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE