Kofa CabinKofa Cabin, KNWR - photo credit; USFWS (more photos on google images, including the plaque))
The Kofa Refuge is named for the King of Arizona mine. It includes 666,641 acres of protected land. Kofa Refuge literature notes that the Kofa Cabin and upland water tanks for wildlife were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).
In 1939, a CCC side camp was set up at the Kofa Refuge. CCC enrollees, most of them of Native American descent, worked to develop high mountain waterholes for the bighorn sheep. This work was part of a statewide conservation effort to save the bighorn sheep.
The refuge is managed by the US Fish and Wildlife Service and is currently used for camping and hunting.
National Wildlife Refuge | Arizona: (https://www.fws.gov/refuge/kofa/), accessed November 19, 2017.
Wikipedia: (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kofa_National_Wildlife_Refuge), accessed November 19, 2017.
Project originally submitted by Hank Chapot on November 19, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE