Koehler Pavilion, Koehler Park, San Antonio Texas
This structure was built under the Work Progress Administration between the years of 1935 and 1937. It is located in Koehler Park which is adjacent to Brackenridge Park, but most local people just think of this entire area as Brackenridge Park.
In 1915 Emma Koehler donated 11 acres of land to the City of San Antonio for a park in memory of her husband, Otto Koehler. The pavilion is available for rental through the City of San Antonio Parks and Recreation Department; it is a very popular venue for picnics as it is right on the San Antonio River and within walking distance of the Zoo and other park amenities. A renovation was done in 1982, including the addition of a patio on the River side of the pavilion.
The nomination form to the National Register of Historic Places provided much information about the pavilion; however, the date of construction was estimated by the authors to be in 1925 and no mention of the WPA construction was made. If further research determines more definite information it will be submitted. National Register of Historic Places, Brackenridge Park, San Antonio, Bexar, Texas, Reference #1100513 http://www.edwardsaquifer.net/saspring.html
Project originally submitted by Elizabeth Hilburn on May 26, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE