Hatchery Pond and PWA Marker
“The fish hatchery we see wasn’t begun until 1929, and from then on it slowly grew in size.
The first major improvements were made during the 1930s by men who came up from the Klamath Falls camp of the Civilian Conservation Corps. They constructed the rectangular wooden fish ponds and many of the current residential buildings.
Around 1937, the CCC boys built the long hatchery headquarters building, incorporating offices, apartments for senior staff, two garages large enough for any hatchery vehicle, and incubation nurseries for fish eggs and fry. The building still dominates the park-like setting and is the first thing someone notices when they visit.
More help came in 1939 when the Public Works Administration allowed workers to construct a concrete dam and begin work on some of the concrete fish ponds. The PWA was a government agency created to get Americans back to work during the Depression.
After World War II more structures were built and the hatchery property finally was purchased from the Klamath tribe.
Hatchery operations are funded primarily by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service through its Sport Fish Restoration Program. State fishing license fees make up about 25 percent of the facility’s total budget.
The hatchery continues to raise legal and trophy-sized trout — rainbows, browns and cutthroats — for release in lakes and streams throughout the Klamath, Deschutes and Umpqua basins.”
Bill Miller, "From muskrat farm to hatchery -- CCC-built Klamath State Fish Hatchery today is a nurturing ground for trout," Oregon Mail Tribune, September 7, 2008.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE