Kinzua Lane Seen from the Fossil-Kinzua Junction of State Hwy 19 - Fossil OR
In fall 1935, the Oregonian announced that an additional $201,305 had been received to support Works Progress Administration (WPA) relief workers, including a project for Wheeler County. The project identified for funding involved improving four miles of road “from seven miles from Fossil to Kinzua.”
Improving access between Fossil and Kinzua served as an important economic link between the two towns. Fossil was, and still is, the county seat of Wheeler County. Kinzua, now a ghost town, was the site of the Kinzua Pine Mill Company’s sawmill operation. The company town had been established in 1927 and would operate as such until 1978. When it opened, the company built 125 houses for its employees.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
"Kinzua (town," Oregon Encyclopedia. https://www.oregonencyclopedia.org/articles/kinzua/#.Y12y9nbMK3A
"Oregon Receives Funds Under (PWA sic) WPA," Oregonian. September 27, 1935.
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on October 29, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE