The massive Building 93 on the Kings Park State Hospital campus “was constructed as a WPA project in the late 1930s. The 12-story infirmary housed patients according to their mobility: the ambulatory were placed on the ground floors, semi-invalids on intermediate floors, and the bedridden on the top floors.” (Harris et al.)
“As patient populations grew throughout the early part of the 20th century, the hospital itself continued to grow, and by the late 1930s the state began to build upward instead of outward. During this period, the famous 13-story Building 93 was constructed. Designed by state architect William E. Haugaard and funded with Works Progress Administration money, the building, often dubbed “the most famous asylum building on Long Island,” was completed in 1939 and would be used as an infirmary for the facility’s geriatric patients, as well as for patients with chronic physical ailments.” (Wikipedia)
The building is no longer in use.
"Smithtown"; by Bradley Harris, Kiernan Lannon, Joshua Ruff, page 75 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_Park_Psychiatric_Center
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 18, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE