20 Kimmell Park 02
Constructed by the Public Works Administration (PWA) in 1938. Four large stone rings and elaborate stone entrance for walk in entry only; picnic area, playground and boat ramp. Memorial to Civil War Veterans. Concrete wall high on east side of Levee that becomes and 8′ wall at entrance (all of concrete). Each stone circle has 2 built in fireplace/grills, built in bench a concrete table, a shield with a name and “1938.” Each could accommodate about 100 people. The entry gates (pedestrian) open into a round plaza with a flag pole and have 2 relief panels each. The bath house intrudes on this space. The picnic shelter has a large fireplace and a steel roof structure. A plaque on the outside of the chimney lists the and other city officials plus the designer.
DNR Historic Site and Structures Inventory; Knox Co Interim Report (p.94, #017)
Project originally submitted by Indiana DNR, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology on September 2, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE