Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield ParkPark, View South
From the summer of 1938 to early 1942, Civilian Conservation Corps Camp NP-4 provided improvements to the Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park. During its operation, the camp’s enrollees cut trails and roads, implemented fire suppression measures, improved erosion control at the site, planted tress, and constructed the park’s first headquarters building. The camp contained barracks, a recreation center and library, a mess hall, and several vocational education buildings. Though much of the physical campsite was disassembled and re-used for the war effort, the landscape constructed by the CCC is still extant.
The National Park Service website contains general information regarding the park at http://www.nps.gov/kemo/index.htm. Work scheduled to be performed at the park found in “Work Project Supplementary Report, November 15, 1938”; Camp Inspection Reports/ GA-Marietta, NP-4; Records of the Civilian Conservation Corps, Record Group 35/ Box 47; National Archives at College Park, College Park, MD.
Project originally submitted by Mark Barron on March 23, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE