Old Juneau-Douglas Bridge, c. 1959 - Juneau AK
The original Juneau-Douglas bridge was built in Juneau, Alaska with the assistance of funds provided by the the Public Works Administration (PWA). The steel bridge spanning the Gastineau Channel was opened October 13, 1935. It was the first roadway connection between the capital city of Juneau and Douglas Island to the west.
The New Deal era bridge was replaced with a modern bridge in 1980.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Alaska Developments reviewed by Governor in address from KFAR. (October 12, 1940). The Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, p. 5.
Celebration for the opening of the Juneau-Douglas Bridge (October 13, 1935). Alaska's Digital Archives. Retrieved from http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/cdmg21/id/8923
Connor walks along the bridge. Alan G. May papers, 1902-1990. Alaska's Digital Archives. Retrieved from http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/singleitem/collection/cdmg13/id/7491/rec/2
Haycox, S. (2002). Alaska: An American Colony. Seattle, WA: University of Washington Press.
Naske, C-M. (2009). 49 at Last: The Fight for Alaska Statehood. Kenmore, WA: Epicenter Press.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE