Joseph C. Sauer Park
From NYC Parks:
“Sauer Park is one of nine playgrounds that were built by the Parks Department through the War Memorial Fund, and were opened simultaneously on July 15, 1934. The War Memorial Fund was established in 1921 with $250,000 collected by the Police Department, and by 1934 the fund—never spent—had grown in value to $350,000. Seeking additional open spaces for children, Parks Commissioner Robert Moses obtained a legal ruling which permitted use of the fund for playground development. The properties were intended to honor the memories of individual soldiers who gave their lives in combat. The Fund was transferred to Parks on March 19, 1934.”
The site had previously been an abandoned school building (P.S. 126), which the city turned over to the Parks Commissioner for demolition by a Civil Works Administration (CWA) crew.
NYC Parks: With additional funding from the Federal Temporary Emergency Relief Administration, nine playgrounds were constructed within four months. Each site was equipped with a play area, wading pool, brick field house and comfort station, flagpole, and commemorative tablet. Mayor Fiorello H. LaGuardia and Parks Commissioner Moses simultaneously dedicated the memorial playgrounds in a ceremony held at William E. Sheridan Playground in Brooklyn…
Parks first acquired the land for Sauer Park in 1934 and expanded the site with subsequent additions in 1965, 1989, and 1992.”
NYC Parks - Joseph C. Sauer Park
Department of Parks, Press Release, August 12, 1935
New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
The New York Times: "5 OLD CITY SCHOOLS IN PARK PROJECTS," Feb. 25, 1934 (pg. 29)
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on January 31, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE