John Sevier State Office Building
Nashville’s Tennessee State Office Building was built circa 1939-40 as part of the New Deal Public Works Administration program. It is an example of the Federal government’s efforts to provide employment during the Depression. The Streamlined Classical design of Nashville architect Emmons Woolwine is seen in the monumental scale of the pilasters and cornice and the simplified classical details of the building. Bronze screens and bas-relief sculptures by Rene Chambellan enhance the design on the exterior. Inside, the building has two large murals depicting “The Discovery of Tennessee” and “The Development of Tennessee,” painted by well-respected artist Dean Cornwell. It is presently used by the Tennessee Attorney General’s office.
National Register of Historic Places nomination, 2011. Carroll Van West, "Tennessee's New Deal Landscapes" (Knoxville, University of Tennessee Press, 2001.
Project originally submitted by Tara Mitchell Mielnik on August 6, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE