The New York Times reported in Sept. 1941 that the WPA worked on the “reconstruction of John Jay Park along the East River Drive, between Seventy-sixth and Seventy-eighth Streets.”
Specific improvements included the installation of a new diving pool with concrete bleachers; the remodeling of an “old bath building” to “include a recreation room, gymnasium and auditorium”; and a new “completely equipped playground.”
A May 1942 Department of Parks press release further reported that the WPA had relocated the concession building, paved areas of the park, installed benches and planted trees.
"Central Park Area to Be Improved For Benefit of Harlem Residents"; The New York Times, Sept. 22, 1941. Department of Parks, Press Release, May 16, 1940
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 15, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE