John Gaston Hospital, c. 1936
The John Gaston Hospital was constructed during the Great Depression in Memphis, Tennessee with the assistance of funds provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA). “With the Gaston inheritance, $300,000 from the city [of Memphis], $100,000 from the county [of Shelby], and a grant from the Public Works Administration, the Memphis City Hospital generated $800,000” (Regional One Health). The new Gaston Hospital was opened in 1936 to replace the Memphis General Hospital, and demolished in 1990 in order to expand the newer facilities of the Regional One Health Medical Center.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Regional One Health. (n. d.). History Time Line. Retrieved from http://www.regionalonehealth.org/history/ Memphis Hospitals and Medical Centers in Vintage Postcards and Photos. (n. d.). John Gaston Hospital. Retrieved from http://historic-memphis.com/memphis-historic/hospitals/hospitals.html Biles, R. (1986). The persistence of the past: Memphis in the Great Depression. The Journal of Southern History, 52(2). 183-212. Van West, C. (2001). Tennessee's New Deal Landscape: A Guidebook. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press. American Medical Directory, Vol. 7, 1921, Chicago: American Medical Association “Gaston Hospital Dedication Held,” Kingsport Times, 28 June 1936, p. 2, $800,000 new John Gaston Memorial Hospital.
Project originally submitted by Susan C. Allen on December 10, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE