Library of Congress AnnexC.W. Short and R. Stanley-Brown. "Public Buildings: A Survey of Architecture of Projects Constructed by Federal and Other Governmental Bodies Between the Years 1933 and 1939 with the Assistance of the Public Works Administration." (1939).
“The Library of Congress, completed in 1897, has a capacity of 5,000,000 volumes. The rapid increase of collections necessitated the annex, which has an available floor area of 20 acres and a capacity of 9,000,000 books. In addition to the catalog and reading rooms, there are 172 study rooms arranged on 2 levels, each with outside light. A tunnel connects the main building with the annex.
The building is faced on the exterior with white marble. It was completed by the Office of the Architect of the Capitol in 1938 at a total cost, including land and equipment, of $9,300,000. P.W.A. contributed $2,800,000.”
(Short and Brown)
“The John Adams Building is one of three library buildings of the Library of Congress in the United States. The building was originally built simply as an annex to the Library’s Main Building (the Thomas Jefferson Building). It opened its doors to the public on January 3, 1939. It is located on Second Street SE between Independence Avenue and East Capitol Street in Washington, DC.”
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|