Jelsma Stadium, Guthrie OK
“Jelsma Stadium, constructed by the WPA, was selected by ESPN as No. 13 Best High School Stadium in the nation, in 2008.
Lawrence Jelsma was a business and civic leader in Guthrie during the 1920s and 1930s. With his encouragement a $14,500 bond issue was passed and, together with funds from the WPA, this stadium was able to be built at a cost of $48,500. Unfortunately, Jelsma did not live to see the first game played here, as he passed away in 1934 at the age of 1941 from pneumonia.
The amazing thing about this stadium is the 30-foot high native sandstone wall on the north side of the stadium, giviing the stadium its nickname, “The Rock”. From outside the stadium, the rock wall is seen, as it extends about eight feet above the sidewalk next to the ticket booths…
In 2005, extensive renovation was conducted on the stadium to the tune of $3,000,000. The ticket booth area, although still native sandstone, appears to be part of this later renovation…
The WPA shield with the date 1936 can be seen in concrete.” (waymarking.com)
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on November 29, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE