Jefferson School - Pauls Valley OKPhoto: hamquilter, Creative Commons 2019
Jefferson Elementary school is one of three built by the WPA.
Contributor note: “Jefferson Elementary School is located at 500 E. Garvin at the corner of S. Cherry Street. This is a one-story L-shaped school with a flat roof, capped with Spanish tile. Red metal siding has been added to the upper walls, with a shallow gable roof. The windows are three-pane set in singles, doubles and triples. On the west side of the school, there are two brick bay window units with tile roofs.
A 1-1/2 story brick tower is located at the northwest corner, which has a tile pyramid roof and three small windows on each side. Beneath these are rows of dentilated brick, with a distinct Mission Revival style. The two metal entrance doors are recessed beneath this tower, which has two brick arched openings. The architect was Albert S. Ross. A cornerstone shows the building was begun in 1939.”
Garvin County WPA Properties: https://www.okhistory.org/shpo/wpa/wpa5garvin.pdf
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on March 25, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE