Jefferson Municipal Pool
The municipal pool in Jefferson, Iowa was constructed with funds from the Works Progress Administration (WPA). It was opened to the public in July of 1937.
One of over a dozen public pools constructed in Iowa with the aid of New Deal agencies and funds, the Jefferson Municipal swimming pool incorporated “the most modern equipment.” Its initial dimensions were 75 x 120 feet, with the tile and brick bathhouse standing at 22 x 88 feet.
WPA officials and swimming pool designers took special care to equip New Deal pools with the latest engineering features. The pool included rounded corners to prevent injuries, a filtration and purification system, a diving platform, and a shallow wading area.
As of August 2016, the pool remained in operation.
“Sixteen Ultra-Modern Pools for Iowa,” Parks & Recreation. May 1938.
Roger Aegerter, “The Founding and Organization of Jefferson,” Greene County Iowa Historical Society. August 1, 2016. https://www.greenecountyiowahistoricalsociety.org/column-articles/166/
“Jefferson, Iowa, Builds Modern Pool,” Parks & Recreation. May 1938.
Project originally submitted by Gray Brechin on April 10, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE