The 16-story Jefferson Hospital was completed in 1940 and opened in February 1941. Financed with a PWA grant and Reconstruction Finance Loans, the 575-bed hospital had 11 operating rooms, maternity section and all-electric kitchens. It was renamed Jefferson Tower in 1979 and is part of the University of Alabama at Birmingham Medical Center.
McWilliams, T. S. (2007). New lights in the valley: The emergence of UAB. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press.
Wright, G. (2010). The New Deal and the Modernization of the South. Federal History: Journal of the Society for History in the Federal Government, 2, 58-73. Retrieved from www.shfg.org/Federal-History.
"Jefferson Hospital to be opened Feb. 1." ( Jan. 26, 1941). The Montgomery Advertiser, p. 6.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on December 7, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE