Jefferson High School Stadium & Field - Portland OR
Collaborating with the Portland Public Schools, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a 1000 seat stadium for Jefferson High School in the summer of 1941. The $14,000 project (1941 dollars) consists of an uncovered structure with restroom and concession facilities built in the rear. The Oregonian, Portland’s morning newspaper, noted when the stadium structure was dedicated in October 1941 that the adjacent athletic field was also a WPA project, completed over the previous two years.
Jefferson High School is notable as the high school of the historic African American community of north Portland. Also worth noting is the ‘mascot’ of the school: “The Democrats”.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Barker, Neil L. (1996) “The Works Progress Administration in Portland, Oregon: An Historical
Narrative and Survey Report, 1935-1942,” Masters of Arts in History – Washington State University. May 1996. Pp.89.
The Oregonian (1941) “Athletic Field Rites Slated,” October 10, 1941.
The Oregonian (1941) “Work Started on Jefferson’s New $14,000 Stadium,” June 29, 1941.
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on January 3, 2015.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE