Jefferson Field - Washington DC
In October 1942, the Washington Post reported the allocation of $19,627 to the Federal Works Agency (FWA) for new construction and improvements at the Jefferson Recreation Center adjacent to Jefferson Middle School in the city’s southwest quadrant.
In a previous article in July 1942, the paper reported the allocation of five acres for a Southwest Sports Area at the same site, which must have become the Jefferson Recreation Center. The site is now called simply “Jefferson Field”.
Jefferson Field includes a baseball diamond, soccer field and tennis courts, plus what appears to be the original field house (with a modern ramp).
The Jefferson Middle School is still there but was being renovated in 2019. Its present use is unknown.
“Lanham Act projects are approved,” Washington Post, October 15, 1942, p. B1
“FWA grants $235,000 for 9 D.C. play areas,” Washington Post, July 28, 1942, p. 1
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on March 11, 2015.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE