In early 1942, the WPA began work on a new park and playground to be operated jointly by the adjacent P.S. 40 (Samuel Huntington School) and the Department of Parks.
A press release announcing the start of construction described the work to be accomplished:
“Twenty-three one to two and a half story frame buildings are being demolished in preparation for the new development which will provide the following facilities: eight concrete surfaced handball courts, wading pool, brick comfort station, irrigated sand Pit and sitting area, seesaws, slides and swings for pre-school and older children, a pipe frame exercise unit, two large open free play areas, three practice basketball standards, one basketball court with removable standards, two softball diamonds with hooded chain link backstops, three paddle tennis courts and three shuffleboard courts…
The playgrounds are being constructed by the Work Projects Administration from plans prepared by the Department of Parks.”
The playground opened in December 1943. It was originally known as the P.S. 40 Playground. It was renamed in 1985 and was further renovated in 1994.
Department of Parks, Press Release, February 9, 1942 NYC Parks - Jamaica Playground New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on December 27, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE