Jackson Square, New Orleans - Upper Pontalba Building
During the New Deal, the Work Progress Administration (WPA) restored the historic buildings at the heart of the French Quarter in New Orleans, forming three sides of Jackson Square: the Upper and Lower Pontalba Buildings, the Cabildo and the Presbytère (see project pages on each one). The work to restore the buildings was part of a larger effort by the WPA to document and restore historic sites in the French Quarter and to improve the appearance of the French Quarter for the purpose of improving tourism to the Crescent City. The project took place between 1935 and 1937, and it cost roughly $300,000.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Project originally submitted by Richard Walker on May 29, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE