“The Garden of the Phoenix in Chicago’s Jackson Park, With a View of the Museum of Science and Industry”
In 1936, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) pursued a variety of improvements at Chicago’s historic Jackson Park.
“The WPA [went] to town in the park,” the Jackson Park Advisory Council opines. WPA work crews built “comfort stations at the golf driving range,” a “children’s playground,” and “a maintenance building and an overpass at 63rd Street.” The WPA “shortened lagoon shoreline and did other rehabilitation work on Wooded Island and at the Japanese Garden. The 1888 ladies comfort station was rehabilitated.” Moreover, golf course “inlet bridges and the Perennial Garden” were installed. “As part of the WPA work, E.V. Buchsman design[ed] a new Shelter (‘Iowa’) building…” The concession facilities were opened in 1937.
The WPA’s work at Jackson Park can still be seen today.
“Jackson Park Timeline,” Jackson Park Advisory Council. https://www.jacksonparkadvisorycouncil.org/history-2/
Project originally submitted by Gray Brechin on June 7, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE