Jackson House - New Orleans LA
It appears that the historic Jackson House was restored by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in the mid 1930s as part of a larger historic rehabilitation project in the Jackson Square area (source #1).
The plaque on the building confuses matters, however, by claiming that the Jackson House was built in 1933 and restored in 1978 by the state of Louisiana. The 1933 date hardly seems possible, given the age of the brick used in construction of the house (see photo of plaque for close-up of bricks). Furthermore, the building is shown on the 1876 Sanborn fire insurance map (image from source #2).
Sales records show that the building passed from the United States Daughters of 1776 and 1812, who had purchased it in 1919, to the Louisiana State Museum in 1921, and the Daughters retained use of the first floor thereafter (second image from source #2).
More information is badly needed on this structure and its restoration
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 4, 2016.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE