Fleming Hall with WPA Sign© 2016 University of New Orleans and Tulane University
Jackson Barracks was established in the early 19th century. It was transferred from the US Army to the state National Guard in the 1920s. “From 1936 to 1940, Louisiana adjutant general Raymond H. Fleming utilized the federal Works Progress Administration to provide renovation and new construction to the post. Included in the WPA project was a new headquarters building, later dedicated to the Louisiana commander… Fleming Hall served as the Guard’s state headquarters until Hurricane Katrina. Just prior to the storm, it suffered a fire. It has since been restored and is in use as a conference building.” (http://neworleanshistorical.org)
“In August 2005, the entire Jackson Barracks post was nearly destroyed by the flood waters of Hurricane Katrina. Breaches in the Industrial Canal Levee were largely responsible for submerging the site in as much as 20 feet of water. The majority of the post was re-built from scratch, at a total cost of $325 million. 17,500 square feet of buildings were constructed to original design, using original materials when possible.” (http://neworleanshistorical.org)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on May 30, 2016.
Additional contributions by Alan Seward, Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE