J.J. Finley Elementary SchoolFront view. Phoro: Susan Hegeman © 6/29/2019 Creative Commons BY-NC-ND
Completed in 1939, J.J. Finley Elementary school is the oldest operating elementary school in Alachua County. It was named for Jesse Johnson Finley (1812-1904 ), a brigadier general in the Army of the Confederacy, and later a US congressman from Florida. The school was designed by the architectural firm of Sanford W. Goin and Forrest M. Kelley. It is constructed of brick, and mixes Georgian and art deco styles. The school auditorium, part of the original construction, has seating for 300 people, a full theatrical stage, and a projection room.
PWA plaque to the left of the front entrance to the school.
JJ Finley Elementary School, (https://www.sbac.edu/domain/3515), accessed July 2019.
JJ Finley Biography, (http://bioguide.congress.gov/scripts/biodisplay.pl?index=F000134), accessed July 2019.
Matheson Historical Museum Oral History Program, (https://ufdcimages.uflib.ufl.edu/MH/00/00/17/27/00001/MH00001727.pdf), accessed July 2019.
Project originally submitted by Susan Hegeman on July 2, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE