The Food Sciences Building courtyard contains a 1934 fountain decorated with six bas-relief panels created by artist Christian Petersen under the Public Works of Art Project:
“This mural, composed of six bas relief panels flanking a central fountain, depicts the history of the dairy industry in Iowa and America. The first three panels, located to the left of the fountain, depict the 19th century processes involved with the dairy production. At that time, everyone in the family took part in the milk production process: hand milking, straining, butter churning, and hauling milk to town were all part of the process before the advent of technological advances. The three panels to the right of the fountain portray milk production in the early 1930s. By this time, dairy operations were transforming from small farms into production at commercial facilities, as well as becoming an area of academic study at Iowa State College. The far right panel features a mechanical milking machine and the other two panels represent a Babcock Testing Machine and equipment for pasteurizing, cooling and cheese making. In the center of the six panels, a bull gazes over three Jersey cows drinking from the fountain overflowing to the pool below.” (www.museums.iastate.
Project originally submitted by Donald G. Browne on February 25, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE