The PWA provided funding for the construction of the Iowa City High School, now City High, in 1937-1938. From Wikipedia:
City High School was built through the Public Works Projects, one of many other programs formed in Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal package. City High would become the second high school to be built in Iowa City, as the older one was becoming overcrowded as the population of the city increased. To determine the new location of the school, Iowa City residents had to vote whether to build the school in a central location, closer to the existing high school, or in a Morningside location, which was the name of the street which it would be built by, out of town on the city’s east side. The Morningside location was favored, and the school was built on top of a large hill outside of town. Over time, the city’s suburban expansion reached the school, enclosed it, and the expanded past it.
Description of work:
Source of information: (1) Iowa City Historic Preservation Commission, meeting agenda and National Register of Historic Places materials, June 12, 2014, http://www.icgov.org/docs/auto/boards/6-12-2014_HistoricPreservationCommission_Agenda.pdf, accessed August 13, 2014. (2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_City_High_School
Does the site still exist? Probably, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_City_High_School
Iowa City Historic Preservation Commission, meeting agenda and National Register of Historic Places materials, June 12, 2014, accessed August 13, 2014. Wikipedia
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on July 13, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE