Ship docked in the Industrial Canal
In 1930, the first major industry, Southern Alkali Corporation, came to Corpus Christi. The company needed a deep water channel to the plant site it chose. The Port of Corpus Christi Board of Navigation and Canal Commissioners agreed to provide the mile and a half channel extension. It is referred to as the “Industrial Canal” and was completed in 1933. In order to pay for the dredging, the Commissioners borrowed from the Public Works Administration and issued revenue notes to repay the debt. Dredged materials from the channel were used for levees and to fill land that was then used to add wharves and docks to the Port of Corpus Christi.
Project originally submitted by Larry Moore on July 15, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE